Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question we haven’t answered here? Just let us know. Submit your question online or give us a call.
In short, we do what Uber can’t possibly do—guarantee your service at the time, and in the vehicle, that you request. That is to say that we’re different from Uber in several ways:
- Our drivers are employees, not subcontractors. Uber is a network of affiliates, or independent drivers. FreedomCar owns all of our own vehicles and employs our own staff. Where you have ownership, you have control over quality, security and the protection of your passengers. Where you have independent subcontractors, you compromise your ability to manage quality control, consistency, insurance and the maintenance of equipment.
- FreedomCar is reservations-only. FreedomCar is for planned needs, where a vehicle’s arrival at a given time is essential. This difference is critical. We are the reliable reservation option. Uber began as an on-demand service and evolved to include “schedule ahead” service. However, they cannot guarantee your ride. (SOURCE: Uber FAQ page… “Scheduling a ride in advance does not guarantee you’ll be connected with a driver.“) FreedomCar’s business model offers reliability, consistency, safety and quality of service that Uber’s business model cannot match.
- At FreedomCar, you can always talk directly with the owners. As a locally owned and operated family business, co-founders Mark Thistel and Robyne Lyles are on-site and available, highly engaged with the day-to-day operations to ensure quality service and the satisfaction of all passengers. You can always contact the boss directly if you need to.
FreedomCar is not part of the “Sharing Economy.” We’re part of what we like to call the “Responsible Economy” with the infrastructure and the insurance to take responsibility for what we do.
When you call us, we answer the phone. If there’s a problem, we can fix it. When you’re speaking with us, you’re speaking to real people, who are real members of the local community, sitting in a real office at nearly any hour you could possibly need us, 24/7/365.
All of this can mean higher costs (sometimes) and a little more planning ahead, and that’s the trade-off consumers face when comparing transportation service options.
There is no specific requirement, although we recommend 1-3 days in advance. If you require longer hours or multiple vehicles, best to give us a bit more notice than usual so we can do everything we can to accommodate your travel needs. While we can respond to your ASAP request, please understand that we’re not like a cab service nor are we a network of app-based subcontractors. For the best FreedomCar experience, a little notice goes a long way.
We’re in the office between the hours of 7:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. At no time during those hours will you get an answering service. We’re here to answer your calls… personally.
Managers are on duty until 10:00 p.m. seven days a week. We can field questions and take reservations until that time. After 10:00 p.m. and before 7:30 a.m. all incoming calls are answered by senior drivers on duty. They will refer non-urgent issues to management for a response during office hours. They can handle urgent matters immediately as necessary (for example, if you don’t see your driver).
We do not accept payment by cash or any other form of in-car payment. Our drivers do not carry change and part of the freedom of Freedomcar is that there are no financial transactions in the vehicle, so you can stay focused on enjoying the ride.
For additional details, check out our Payment Information.
We appreciate that you asked, but we don’t accept tips for any of our services. Our drivers are employees who earn a livable wage, so the best gratuity you can give them is to express your satisfaction with their services when you get your emailed receipt (which offers an opportunity to review the service). The best way to thank us as a group is to refer us to a friend or associate.
Accolades do affect our employees’ bonus pay, so feel free to call or write to us with your comments!
Please refer to our Payment Information for an in-depth answer based on different service types. The short answer? We try to be as flexible as possible.
Our drivers are as easy to identify as our vehicles. For all airport pickups, we will issue a courtesy call or text prior to your pickup identifying your driver, pickup location and relevant contact information.
Find out where to meet us if you’re flying into:
For the following airports, we’ll coordinate pickup locations when we book your reservation:
• Philadelphia International (PHL)
• Newark International (EWR)
• John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Call us at (410) 321-5600. We’ll answer your call 24 hours/day, and connect you with your driver immediately. We don’t want you waiting or searching through the airport in an attempt to find your driver when he or she is probably just feet away in a crowded environment.
We’ll take you as far as you want to go. Common requests include New York City, New England, Virginia, Washington D.C., and points west. For trips that exceed 250 miles one way, special per diem rates apply.
Our fleet is one of our finest features. Each vehicle is purchased new and is less than 3 years of age. You can expect a consistently clean and reliable experience. Meet the fleet >
We offer complimentary booster seats upon request. In the unlikely event that your booster-seat vehicle is delayed or you forget to ask us about this, please be aware that livery services such as FreedomCar are exempt from child seat requirements.
Yes, but you are responsible for any damage to or cleaning of the car, for which fees apply. Additionally, we ask that you keep your pet secured so as to avoid potentially distracting the driver.